Thursday, July 16, 2009

The only thing I know for sure is that I am looking for you.

I was so excited that mystery person had gotten in touch with me that I could hardly sleep!! I was up with the early birds again. I got a phone call from Matthew a little later in the morning and we made plans to finally meet face to face at the giant Inukshuk down on English Bay. We greeted eachother with a big hug and some sighs of relief. We had done it! Robin had given each of us a small envelope to exchange once we met in person. Inside we found a handmade "The only thing I know..." button from Robin and a note telling us to contact him right away. I called him, Matt texted. While we were waiting, we decided to go celebrate with a beer. Somehow Robin didn't get our messages, and arrived with the photographer, Kara, 2 hours and a couple of beers later. We spent the next few hours getting pictures of us meeting, my house and my random stuff, as well as Matthews place and his set up.
Our places are very different. I have been living in a bright, 9th floor, one bedroom aptartment with a great mountain view (and a little ocean if you look really hard!) Davie St. is really busy and vibrant with lots of restaurants, cafes, fresh produce, bookstores, beaches, and gay nightclubs. Everything one needs, really... :)
Matthew, on the otherhand, is living in a big old 1920's house in a lovely, quiet, tree lined neighbourhood near Cambie St. in the east end. The house is getting ready for renos, so there isn't much in it besides a couch and an old upright piano. It's going to be really beautiful once it is fixed up.

Near the end of our photo shoot at Matthew's place, we are chatting about whatever, and I bring up the question: "What were you doing to leave clues for me?"
Matthew looks at the floor.
Robin says, " I was wondering when that question was going to come up."
To make a long two week story short, He hadn't done anything. Nothing. Diddly squat.
Are you freaking kidding me???
I was searching and stressing and racking my brain, and he didn't do anything to help me find him. We compared our GPS info over beers and found out that we had pretty much gone the same distance (me: 169 miles him: 167 miles) and had been in a lot of the same areas. So while I was trying to leave a trail, he was just going on a walkabout. He's been working on some sort of other project with some friends that kind of overshadowed the whole thing. I think he wanted to incorporate this project into his other one somehow. He apparently had posters in the works. They never materilaized since he found me of craigslist anyways. I kind of feel like I went to all this effort for nothing. Two weeks into it, he looked at craigstlist once and found my ad. I've put out newspaper ads, online ads, posters, chalk signs all over the city and close to 200 stickers that I made by hand. And he did nothing. I'm a weeeee bit ticked about this. I feel like I've treated this project like a job, out of respect for Robin, and all the effort and though he's put into it. I don't know much about the other side of the story, but Matthew missed the point.
At least we didn't find eachother right away. It made for a few interesting stories!
Robin is still in the process of making arrangements for the show and the book he going to put out. In the meantime, please check out Robin's website and Kara's lovely photographs!
Thanks for reading!
The video is random, but the song is appropriate, maybe? Happy searching everyone!

1 comment:

  1. the fact that matthew didn't even try makes me mad on robin's (the artist's), your (the participant's), and my (the general public's) behalf. i would have loved to have taken his spot and tried to find you!

    ReplyDelete